Thursday, November 15, 2007

Oh man...

Why do I have to miss everything exciting? While I've been stuck under a rock in the Midwest, there have been a multitude of exciting Columbia mini-scandals. First the president of Iran was invited to speak, which led to most students skipping class to watch/protest. And more recently several students have gone on a hunger strike. Why are they on a hunger strike, you ask? I haven't the foggiest notion - but apparently they've convinced the administration to change the major cultures requirement and to add more layers (or to expand existing layers?) of the ever-amusing Columbia bureaucracy.

Meanwhile, I've been busy with classes and work and more classes and more work. In fact, the funniest campus semi-protest I've seen was in response to a bunch of rabid evangelical Christians of some fundamentalist variety who spent several days standing out on Library Mall yelling (literally) about how we're all (everyone except these people, apparently) going to hell for tolerating homosexuals, among myriad offenses. So the following week, some kid stood around yelling: "Everyone sucks except me! I'm always right! I could be raising money for charity, or going to class, but I want everyone to know how awesome I am!"

1 comment:

chrisarts said...

The hunger strike ain't that exciting. In the time it would take the Columbia bureaucracy to meet all their demands, they would probably all die.

Most of us would too.

The Iran thing was annoying too. You should be happy you weren't here. Just more people yelling at each other; a ugly, gentrified, failure to communicate precipitated by blowhards/blowhardettes in training who get off on proving others wrong.

I can't tell you how infuriated I am by almost everyone who labels themselves as Christians. At this rate, I'm gonna have to go Buddhist . :)

In short, 'tis best to avoid events. They are but trouble.
Hope things are well.